Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The winds of change

About a year ago, whilst preparing for exchange and was praying with a brother, I saw a vision of the Korean Peninsula and a golden compass pointing to the North. I then saw the words "orphans" and "go".


When I arrived in Korea (south, not north...lol) I ended up pumping out water from my dorm with Andy during the typhoon and that was also the day I met 광훈 선배 (my dorm senior who is an active marine) because we were flooded from Typhoon Kompasu (Typhoon Compass). I thought it more than a bit ironic that the name of the typhoon matched the vision that I saw back in singapore before leaving for exchange. But oddly enough I felt in my heart that these were "the winds of change" for Korea.


It was not by chance that I also ended up in a church that was housing, clothing, feeding and providing north korean refugees with work. Part of their (rather dangerous) work also includes working with the north korean orphans along china's border with north korea. Their shelters were raided repeatedly and the north koreans deported back to the DPRK before they could be safely transported to south korea. I remember praying for the safe arrival of the refugees they had aided in the Christmas service last year.


My heart has always been with the nation of Korea. It is a land that I seem to be drawn to in terms of its people and the issues that they struggle through- a national identity that has God as part of their national anthem and the biggest churches in the world...but is still so... Broken.


A year later we are now at the dawn of a new era- Kim Jeong Il has passed on and the dictatorship has been given to his son, Jung Un. Any threat of a collapse would definitely ensure that the N Korean people who have been in poverty and famine would finally gain a chance to access any and/or some resources. But the North is likely to reconsolidate power and dangle the carrot of reunification with the south as a means to temporarily gain more aid for now. It is also likely to go the other direction and test fire missiles (they did so yesterday) and show off its military might in order to bully S Korea into giving it aid concessions. At the advent of so much uncertainty and change, my heart still goes to those in the torture/ labour camps and the young generation of orphans who have lost their parents in such tyranny.


What does the Holy Spirit say? "Pray"


1. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem (what does this have to do with that, Lord? Everything in fact.)

2. Pray the Lord of the harvest for N Korea.

3. Pray for the orphans and the widows in N Korea- their time of suffering is not over yet. Pray for their relief.

4. Pray for wisdom for the world super powers and the governmental heads of South Korea. They need it to deal with the North.


I am beginning to see where God is steering my life- the training and equipping right now is for the work that is to come. ^_^


"thy Kingdom come and thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"


Lord, we need your Spirit now more than ever. Please send us a fresh outpouring.


And remember us, Lord. Remember us.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

No comments:

Post a Comment