Thursday, March 11, 2010

My parents



I think you all know how much I love my mummy and daddy. After going through countless classes in school, listening to so many stories of families, I truly believe that God gave me the best parents, for me.

There are times when I don't understand why they have to do certain things the way they do. There are also often times that I quarrel and argue with them about their values and policies enacted in my life. We fight, we cry, we laugh, we sometimes yell at each other... and we also pray...

But, without these, we wouldn't be human. There would be a lack of intimacy in knowing all the details of a person's life- their heart, mind and soul, their reasons for doing things... Love is not just a feeling. It's also a lifestyle. Of accommodation, of challenging, of accepting criticism, of sticking to someone even though you don't FEEL like it. Love is a choice.

My parents married when daddy was 23 and mummy was just 21. (So by all counts unless I get married this year, I'll be late. haha) Their life has been one of absolute surrender to God. I think many people only see the "outside" of what they are doing and judge their ministry by that, without looking at the countless hours of prayer, obedience and sacrifice that they had to go through.

But it takes someone who loves God, me and my family to be able to look at their lives and ministry - and acknowledge that God has indeed worked in our lives. Things fail, people sometimes fail, but LOVE never fails.

That is who God is to me, taught and mirrored to me by my parents. The very behaviours and outlook in life that I exhibit comes because of their careful hands and prayers over my life. Haha. Future husband- watch out! You've already been prayed for since the day I was conceived. You were blessed with prosperity and health and happiness and that God would grant all the desires of your heart. Do you know how blessed you are? Such is the love of Godly parents. They've blessed you even before I met you and fell in love with you and saw God's purposes fulfilled in and through our lives.

My parents taught me:

1. To love God first and always. To remember that He put us on this earth to reach out to people, showing them truly what "LOVE" is.


2. To hope in the future that God has for me; no matter how hopeless the situation can seem.


3. To have faith that He will do all that He said He'll do in His time; even if you have other plans

So I have much to want/ gain of this world, but I have so much here with me already. These are my treasures- my parents, my sister and my brother. My BFFs and covenanted sisters/ brothers/ uncles and aunts.

Everything else, is just a bonus on this earth. =)

"You can live as if nothing is a miracle or you can live as if EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE"
-Albert Einstein