Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Song of Solomon

And so... today's bible reading takes me to the book of Song of Solomon (SOS). hahahaha. very apt.

Let me explain why. Recently, a significant date has passed by on the world calendar. 14th February. Besides the fact that it was Luigi's, Cam's and Aaron's birthday... it was also the most expensive day for purchasing flowers and chocolates.


I think that Valentine's day only seeks to raise the levels of urgency in one's biological clock. It results in the maddening thoughts of being loved and accepted by people you admire or the constant reminder of past failed attempts at "securing" love. Its fingerprints include the repeated attempts to confess or confuse others with your actions, words or gifts... Most of it ending up in the perilous pagan problem of high abortion rates 8-9 months later.

As believers we're supposed to approach love differently.

1 Corinthians 13

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


I believe that the Lord draws the blueprints of our life the way He wants them to. This also includes our love life/ future partner/ husband/ wives. There is no way that He can be excluded from our plans if we yield ourselves to Him.

Song Solomon 8

6 Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy
[a] unyielding as the grave. [b]
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.
[c]

7 Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it
[d] would be utterly scorned.

When one reads and understands that falling in love with God and placing Him as a seal over our heart is the way to go, then only can everything else fall into place for him/ her.

So in this crazy times when "the hormones turn on and brains fall out" (Daddy, 2010) it is comforting to know that through it all. LOVE, the one and only... never fails.