Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hurricane Venus

Anhyeong everyone!


I'm all scrubbed and clean, sitting on my bed on the last night pearlyn and I will be in the guesthouse having a Kpop faceoff. 


It's time for a full recap of activities and observations. Korea days 0-3


Day 0


Flew from Singapore at 7.40am and arrived in bangkok, flew off to Hong Kong at 10.40am (BKK time) and then from HK to Incheon at 3.15pm. 


Arrived at 8.40pm and waited for baggage. Small balagan- my immigrations slip slipped out at immigrations so I had to go and fill another out.


Cleared my baggage really quickly. My buddy was super sweet. Jeong Eun, a physics major, came to get me at the airport and for a second I felt I had my own fan club. LOL.


She had written my name on a placard with "SOGANG UNIVERSITY- WELCOME TO KOREA" and stood there looking worried about me not showing up. She's awfully funny. She's also taking classes under CL's dad in Sogang. 


Took an hour's bus ride from Incheon to Hongdae and then a cab to the guesthouse. 


Met the whole crew at the guesthouse and settled in quickly.


Day 1


skype video call by jeremy in hk.


Found our own way to Sinchon station to meet Rachel and Chloe. hee hee. Chloe flew down the stairs to hug me. I was super happy to see her also. =)))) Had lunch in Sinchon and visited our campus for the first time. Rachel took us around Ee dae, near the women's university. Bought my first thing ever in Korea- Chloe's flat sandals. hahahaha! The crazy one came to meet us in heels.=_="


Headed to Hongdae after that to explore and came round to Japanese dinner of Charashi Don and udon soup, without the udon- just the soup. It keeps people warm on a rainy day.


And we've been getting loads of rain here. Wandered back to the guesthouse and got lost for a bit before bumping into another taiwanese couple staying at the same guesthouse. 


I think the wonderful thing about my trip so far has been the people I've met while staying in the guesthouse. It's honestly been a bit of a stretch for me about mingling after my "switch off hours"; which is after a long day out and I did not have my hot shower yet. But I love it. =) our exchange of stories, jokes and experiences has been priceless to me. =)


Became quite close to the canadian, irish, french and swedish guys and the other swedish girl Fanny plus Suji the korean girl on holiday from Gwangju. =)


Love the mixture and melting of cultures. =P


Day 2- 


Morning emo call by kenny wong wei han from paris. haha.


Pearlyn and I had to meet Fanny and Jeffrey (the Canadian guy) in the afternoon at 1.30pm to meet Chloe at 2pm at Hapjeong for our cellphones. 


So we wandered out for ourselves for the first time since we got to Korea and learnt how to get to Samseong (about 14 stops away from Hongik) where we walked into a ulu corner and had brunch. The lady told us we looked korean and that sent pearlyn over the moon. She also proceeded to tell us we were pretty and filled up my water bottle for me. LOL. 


By the time we checked the watch, it was 12.30 and time to head back to the guesthouse to bring out the rest. Ended up running back there. =) Got to hapjeong station at 2.15. Chloe turned up and I GOT MY KOREAN LINE! woot! Got a free charger and battery as well. =) 


We then headed off to Gwanghwamun (chloe, jeffrey, pearl and I) where we visited one of the best museums I have ever been to in my life. =) we did calligraphy and an arcade game, tried rowing an ancient boat and had a lot of fun.


A short walk from there to the actual restored gwanghwamun gate and through a photography exhibition was really interesting and educational. had dinner (bibimbap for me) We then headed to the cheonggyecheon stream (FAVOURITED IT ALREADY) and played around with the street pictures + the actual stream. 


We then headed back on our own to Hongik Station, saying goodbye to Chloe and had a good time eating the remaining Custard Buns in the shape of corn cobs. hahaha. it so funny watching jeffrey spazz out over them. We returned and fed the rest of our guesthouse mates. ^^ 


Skype date with Lyddie and mummy. <3 I love and miss you all very much. 


Day 3


Skype video call by jeremy in HK. LOL. eh. you're becoming good friends with pearlyn at this rate.


Pearlyn and I did laundry and met the new girls from Greece. 


Headed out to Dongdaemun on our own to meet up with Rachel and met Dominic (another SMU student) , had lunch.Wandered around in the pouring rain in Dongdaemun and wandered into the shoes market where pearlyn and I decided not to suffer through puddles anymore and bought rain boots. =) The guy was nice to us and helped us find out what korea shoe size we were. My boots cost me Singapore $13. =) hee hee. 


Headed to the stationery and toy market after that. Bought a $5 wallet that had a map on it. lol. THERE WERE SUPER CUTE PUPPIES BEING SOLD IN A CARDBOARD BOX! *ahhhhh!!!*


Had dinner at a korean chinese restaurant, where I tried jyang jyang myun. =) VERY GOOD MEAL! *rachel agrees* 


Accompanied rachel back to sinchon to walk around ee dae and then to check out her apartment.


back to hongik on our own to pack up for the big move tomorrow! =) dried our clothes with a hairdryer and charged everything. Ready to go!


Some reflections:


1.Seoul is really a cross between tel aviv and taiwan; and it's very dirty and polluted. I really enjoy my showers here. 
2. The summers here are crazy. Could not imagine any place MORE humid than Singapore. Just found it. I keep thinking of a shower whilst running around Seoul.
3. The people here are not ALL skinny and thin as previously assumed. They are however, more conscious of dressing well and looking after their skin. Sooo pale over here.  I'm considered "burnt" by their standards. LOL.
4. Subways are a way of life; everything is organised around them. I know why their legs are so skinny now; I think I'll lose weight getting from one destination to another in Seoul. hahaha. 
5. There is food EVERYWHERE (it's asia). And it ranges from 1000W to 7000W for a decent meal here. (Singapore $2-$9)
6. Cost of living here is really high.
7. Dongdaemun doesn't have the cheapest stuff. School districts like Sinchon and Hongdae have more affordably priced items which are in fashion. (validated. compared it today)
8. Consumerism is rife here. It's super scary. Brands and image mean everything.


It's the COMPANY that matters, not the place. No matter where you are, ever. =) And I need to spend more time with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment